Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Spray Painting Day


Today was the last available day to spray paint outside. It was beautiful. Mid-seventies. Tomorrow, we return to mid to upper nineties...every day for the foreseeable future. BOO.

But at least I got it done. I have several projects to report.

When I last showed you this corner of my living room, it looked like this:





I recently swapped this armoire with the garage sale bookcase I had in my kitchen. I wanted something brighter and less bulky.



Now that I had the bookcase where I wanted it, it was time to fill the shelves. For cheap. I shopped the house and gathered up things that I've been squirreling away with "this just needs painted" in mind. I found a bunch of old shells I had from years and years ago when VBS at church was a beach theme (the one year I actually decorated). I remembered seeing this on pinterest and thought I'd give it a try.

spray painted seashells
Source

Can you believe those sell for hundreds of dollars? It was suggested to try the same thing with a can of silver spray paint. So I took these--



And gave them a coat of this--


And ended up with these--


Then I gathered up a bunch of old thrift store frames I had been accumulating with the intent to paint.



They got a coat of this--



I also had a cardboard "K" I'd gotten awhile back for a couple bucks at Hobby Lobby. It also got a couple coats of silver.

So, in a matter of a couple hours and using almost exclusively things I already had, I came up with this:


Family photos by KariMe Photography
Coral from TJ Maxx



Lanterns from Ikea. Battery Operated tea lights from Hobby Lobby.

I got that owl for 2 bucks from Hobby Lobby. It was originally $25. I love that little guy.

I can't remember where I got the vase, but there's my pop of turquoise. :)

A couple of years ago, I covered some of my books with white paper. I love how it looks. I have no idea where I got this pitcher. I've had it since days of yore. Like, newlywed days of yore.




I love how this turned out. I really wanted a blend of yellow and turquoise somewhere in here, and this arrangement really makes me happy. It's summery and fresh. And it was cheap. Yay!

More spray paint projects to come. Love me some spray paint.

2 comments:

  1. Love!!! I have a bag full of things to spraypaint myself:) isnt it an awesome feeling taking something regular and turning it into something that looks expensive? Squirreling away rocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!! i saw martha stewart spray paint seashells last week on the today show and loved it!! it goes perfectly with your whole outfit here!! perfect colors too! great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete