Friday, June 1, 2012

Keep it Simple, Stupid.

This blog is good, in that it motivates me to do things around here.

This blog is bad, in that it motivates me to do things around here. And I'm clueless.

Today was decorating fail day. Not my first. Is anyone else like me? I know exactly what I want things to look like when I'm on Pinterest or blogs. I can see things in my head. But I have the WORST time translating my mental pictures into actual design choices.

I think my problems start when I try to overthink it. Like, in the last post, I talked about adding some yellow and turquoise into my living room. I look at colors I'm currently in the mood for or that I'm attracted to when I'm clothes shopping, without considering the style I'm trying to achieve in the house.

One goal I have for the house is that all the rooms sort of flow together and make sense. I'm queen of stand alone rooms, but the goal is to get the place attractive for potential buyers, and I personally am drawn to homes where all the rooms feel like they belong together.

I have to come to terms with neutrals being my friend, and any colors I choose need to be muted. I want sort of a cottagey feel to the house, since it's small and a cape cod, albeit with a slightly modern nod since we have a brown "leather" couch. So, even though I'm drawn to jewel tones when I'm shopping, I need to look past the attraction to what will make sense in my theme.


Goal:
pillows
(Source)

Fail:



They're even more green than they are in my poorly lit photo. It's not that I don't like the jewely teal color. It's just that it doesn't fit.

So today's lesson is don't stray from the goal when shopping. Stick with the theme.

And keep your receipts.

On a related note, does anyone know Garden Ridge's return policy on throw pillows that have the tags removed?



6 comments:

  1. obviously take my opinions with a grain of salt seeing how i have zero decorating abilities, BUT, that pillow reminds me of one my great aunt would've had back in the early 80's... with the right decor now, it would work, but i agree it doesn't fit with your current style. maybe it's the velour-y look throwing me off?

    and if you have the receipt, i would take it back as soon as you can and they will probably give you store credit, even with no tags. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked online and I don't think they'd take it w/o the tags. BUT I'm thinking I can make a cover for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pillow! I dont think its off from your direction...but things always look different in pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. a cover would be perfect!! because then you could keep the pillow forever, and just change the covers to whatever you decide to change your decor to in the future. :) see, i never would've thought of making a cover... geesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey if you want those pillows from your source picture go to goodwill. Find a couple cheap sweaters the colors you like then go to Michaels or Joanns or look through my button collection. I'll sew them for you. It would be fun!

    ReplyDelete