Sunday, January 19, 2014

The White House

When it comes to style, I should never say never. Because I'm here to admit to you that I am a total style waffler. I do it in fashion all the time. I'll absolutely loathe a certain style of clothing for about a year or so, and then I'll find I have it in my closet. And I'm realizing I do it in home decor as well. I'll never paint any walls pink. I'll never like leather furniture. I'll never paint a floor.

I'll never have all white walls.

Well, guess what!





Yes, I've hopped on the white trend, and after two days of painting, we have covered the ceiling and the walls with Valspar's "Du Jour". It's not a creamy white, like I'm usually drawn to. It might have a hint of a blue undertone, which I usually don't like, but it's working really well in here. It's bright and crisp and clean looking. And actually, I really love it at night with artificial light. I don't think I've ever preferred a color in artificial light before. 

The thing about white walls is they aren't the star of the show. I can't depend on my wall color to make this a wow space, and I kinda like that. I want the walls to be a blank canvas for artwork and photos and furniture pieces I love. And I think they'll do the job well. And the ceiling looks so so so so much better. Sponge Bob is gone. 

Next will be decor. We're heading to Ikea next week to get some bookshelves and a desk, and I'm stalking Craigslist and thrift stores to fulfill my vision. The white curtains kinda look underwhelming now, so I'm noodling some ideas to fix that. I keep getting notions about where to put color. I'm definitely taking my time and letting my ideas evolve as the room comes together. You can't rush a space. 

3 comments:

  1. It's so true you CANNOT rush a space! I really like your choice! I keep pinning stuff on Pinterest with white walls...I love the blank canvas for art!!!! Can't wait to see it evolve! Have you ever been to a Habitat for Humanity Restore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have one close to us actually, but it's never had very much in the way of furniture gems. Those are getting rare around here. If you know of any good places in your area, let me know, since we're headed to Ikea soon.

      Delete
  2. Our Habitat Restore in Florence KY always has really good stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete