Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Trouble Spots

True to The Practice House tradition, I'm going to show you the ugly befores and promise you pretty afters at some point.

Maybe I'll actually follow through on that this time!

I've spent a lot of time evaluating the problem areas in our living room and how I can better use the space. There is a lot of wasted space in here and areas where junk just piles up.

First problem: The entry
(FYI, I don't know why I watermarked these awful photos. I don't think they're in any danger of being stolen.)


This is what you first see when you enter our house. Well, this is what it's like on an average day. If I'm expecting company, I clean it up a bit. But this is the naked truth. We don't have a coat closet or mud room of any sort, so shoes and coats and gloves and bags just pile up, especially in the winter. I also usually just stack mail on that table until the pile falls over. That method is obviously not working so well. What I'd like to do here is set up a more narrow bookcase that can house baskets for each person to put one or two pairs of shoes and gloves and hats and such. I also want some lower hooks for the kids to hang their own coats on and a place to keep keys and sunglasses. Seth's work bags will still be a problem, so I'm still brainstorming that. And the mail shall move to a new location.

Problem Two: Behind the couch. 


This area is just not pulling its weight. It ends up being a desolate hallway where stuff collects. There has to be a better solution.


My first plans for here involve two taller bookcases from Ikea to fill in the wall space better. When storage space is limited, ya gotta go vertical. The lower shelves will be used for storage boxes and books, the higher ones for art and photos. I also want to incorporate better lighting. On the other side, where that chest is, I'm dreaming of a desk space. My desk area upstairs is always overtaken with school and child things, so it's really not mine. I'd like a place to edit photos, pay bills and organize mail. I'm probably most excited about this area.

Problem Three: The tv wall


Hey, look! More junk on the table top! Just keepin' it real, folks. My planned projects here include finally finishing the top of that dresser and replacing the fancy hardware with something more streamlined and adding an extra seating area. Also, better lighting and some artwork on the walls. 

However, before any of these fun projects can begin, the boring stuff has to be done. We have to deal with the ceiling we patched an embarrassing amount of years ago and also the areas in the wall where the plaster is chipping away (and being helped along by a toddler).



Then it will be paint on the walls and ceiling, replacing all the baseboards and painting all the trim. THEN, the pretty stuff can happen. And eventually, we'd also like to replace the drafty front window and the old front door. Those aren't phase one projects though.

So, that's the plan. I'm antsy to start. And finish. I just need my husband to be home a day or two and work on the un-fun stuff and then I can get rolling!




2 comments:

  1. I love your house. I don't even have children and i have so many trouble areas!!! I was trying to declutter this morning and gave up for the most part because no matter what it seems to make the clutter more angry and multiple when trying to wrangle it. Harumph. My goal is to shoot a house tour soon! I can't wait to see more of your projects:)

    ps I have a new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeal! Checking it out now! Can't wait to see more of your house. :)

      Delete