Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Take a Picture, It Will Last Longer

Last week, my super awesome cousin-in-law was sick for a few days and posted pictures on Instagram of how bad her house got when she wasn't able to keep up with housework. All of you can probably relate. Something comes up, even just for one day, even if you aren't actually in your house that much, and somehow, things just fall apart.

Chaos rules where children dare to tread.

I was inspired by her honesty and keepin-it-realness and decided to snap shots of my house on my phone yesterday. It had been a couple days since I'd cleaned anything. With church on Sunday and then helping my mom paint on Monday, by Tuesday, things were pretty bad. Keep in mind, this isn't even close to the worst it's ever been. Morning sickness house is much, much, MUCH worse. And during the school year, it never seems to get out of this state.









My biggest problems, besides the three children who leave stuff everywhere, are obviously laundry and dishes. The dishes I have no excuse for. The laundry is a constant problem, because our bedrooms are pretty small and there's not really a convenient way to corral it all. Everything always ends up in a big pile in the hallway.

Well, after shooting these, I was inspired to get cracking, because nothing pleases me more than "After" pictures. I worked all day and got things super clean. Lots of scrubbing, vacuuming, laundering, and putting away. It took me all day just to do the first floor, but it felt really good when it was done.








Some parts of my house never look clean, regardless of what I do, like the kitchen counters and the shower. But, I've noticed that when we update things, I'm much more inclined to keep it clean. I'm just imagining how nice that will be when the kitchen and bath get done, hopefully next year. I'm going to be freaking Martha Stewart.

Anyway, today, I was able to tackle some yard projects because everything on the main floor was basically done. So that's awesome. 

It's a wonderful feeling to have a presentable house, even though it's quite fleeting. 

PS: I realize that this is as close as I've gotten to having a home tour on here. How pitiful.

5 comments:

  1. I love so many things about your house:

    a.) Your white cabinets. Did you paint them? I want to do this to my own cabinets but I'm scurred!

    b.) thank you for being real and letting us see messy. My house is always messy and iT DOESN'T even contain children's!

    c.) Your couch is awesome as is your dog

    d.) I love the white furniture, especially with your wall color. It looks so airy! why didn't we know about this like 10 years ago?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carrie! I painted those cabinets shortly after we moved in, so it's been like 8 or 9 years ago now. I used cheap paint too, but they've lasted pretty well. I'm planning to repaint them when we redo the kitchen and also add some new hardware. I say go for it! But then again, our house is filled with cheaper quality things that I don't think twice about painting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, confession: our apartment before children was always pretty messy. There are books to read! Sometimes the housework gets a back seat in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally giggling at elijah on the couch, in the same spot, in both before and after pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I noticed that too, except it's Juliet in the before pic and Elijah in the after. That's a popular spot for cartooning. :)

      Delete