Thursday, August 1, 2013

Color in the Kitchen

Now that she's retired, my mom makes me come over and  help her paint things in her house. I don't really mind though. I kinda like painting furniture. And walls. And countertops. In fact, the only horrid, horrid painting I've done so far is the paneled walls in the attic, which still aren't done. Anyway, my point is, usually, painting is a quick, cheap way to make old things look fabulous.

Plus, you always have to obey your mother. Well, at least my mother. Because if you don't, she'll pin you to the floor. Seriously. Even at 65.

We're due for more painting soon, so I wanted to throw my kitchen chairs into the mix. They're to the point where they need a fresh coat simply because of child-related wear and tear, and I thought it would be fun to do some color instead of my regularly scheduled creamy colored.

Two of my chairs are being banished to the basement. I have three chairs that look like the one closest to the camera in this photo and they're pretty sturdy, so I'm going to use them. One is still the original brown faux wood. Our kitchen has changed a lot since this photo, but the wall color, blinds and artwork are the same.



I've narrowed down the color to yellow, turquoise or blue, or green.

So, I haven't narrowed it down at all, really.

Here's some pinspiration: 
Love kitchen chairs in all different styles and colors
Via
I pinned this Papila Dining Chair in Perfect Yellow from the Bright Ideas event at Joss and Main! love the idea of yellow chairs in the new white kitchen.
Via
Country Kitchen Style Ideas
Via
Shabby chic dining
Via

love painted chairs
Via



Honestly, I'm loving the green, maybe a shade just a tad less bold though. But I also really like yellow and turquoise and I've used them in the living room which connects to the kitchen. I'm trying to imagine what each color chair would look like after our kitchen gets a total revamp next year, which may include white walls and a gray tile floor. My decision will affect what color the cabinets go too. I was thinking a blue-gray or just straight up gray for the cabinets. So, in this scenario, yellow is probably the best (or least likely to be changed when we remodel).

So, any suggestions? What's your favorite?

4 comments:

  1. I love yellow and turquoise! But youre right, yellow will probably go best with gray. Love all the inspiration pictures! Did you get your 2014 ikea catalogue yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It just came this week. There was a happy dance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my table and chairs are THAT green in a bit darker shade! not so... POP green. i bought it that way from a junk seller and just LOVE it.... except i think it's painted with lead based paint and i need to sand/repaint since my kids lick the table. what? like mine are the only ones... ;) i've debated on changing the color when i repaint, but there's something about this green i just... love. :)

    so... i can't really give you an opinion since you have my color on here... of course, whatever you pick is going to look amazing because you always end up with great colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, and mine also has brown distressing, which is mostly noticeable on the table, but i think that was an accident due to the cheapness and oldness of the paint they used... ;) but it looks neat! :D

      Delete